Saturday 26 February 2011

A VISIT TO DIPPING NORTON

I went to see my parents in the Midlands this week and convinced them that a trip to the Cotswolds on Thursday would be nice!  I thought a quick trip via Chipping Norton to see the Rufous Turtle Dove would take about an hour.  Having seen it come up twice on the pager in two hours I thought to myself no problems in adding this mega to my UK list.  WRONG.  When I walked down The Leys a few happy birders were strolling back to their cars smiling contentedly to themselves. The bird had settled itself down in the garden of No.41, which was closed to visitors.  I stood in the passageway of No. 33 for 3 hours and saw Brambling, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, even a Sparrowhawk.  I realised this wasn't going to be mine or about 50 other birders days.  So I gave up and returned to the car.  My wife grinned knowingly and we left to have a really enjoyable afternoon in Bourton-on-the-Water.  Lessons learnt, my UK list remains stubbornly on 423.

No comments:

Post a Comment