Friday 5 August 2011

SHEAR DELIGHT.

With rain and wind hammering against the windows yesterday afternoon I was surprised to get a call from Marc telling me that there was a large movement of Terns going through Reculver.  Having battled with PC World I arrived at the Towers just after 5.oo p.m. and  offshore there must have been approximately five hundred Terns feeding in three large flocks.  I attempted to count them and with the help of Matt and Chris Hindle and Marc who arrived about an hour later we settled on c500 Common Terns, c20 to 30 Sandwich Terns and c40 BLACK TERNS.  I also had the added bonus of 2 LITTLE TERNS a BALEARIC SHEARWATER which was a new bird for the area for me.  As the weather broke and the sunshine arrived 2 Wheatears were feeding on the rocks  by the Towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment